Russia » Kama River | Russia
The biggest side river of River Volga, coming of the central Ural
Kama River | Russia: Characteristics & Overview
Rating of waterway
|Length of waterway:||1045 km|
|Number of locks:||3|
|Lock dimensions:||295 x 26.50|
|Degree of difficulty:||Demanding|
|Requirements:||Boating license essential|
|Character of waterway:||Waterway in reclusion, an adventure|
|Profile of waterway:||Main waterway|
|Facilities groundside:||Not sufficiant|
Waterway has access to:Belaja River | Russia
Volga River | Russia
V`atka / Wjatka River | Russia
is, with a length of 1805 km the biggest side river of River Volga. Its water is used for several power stations at the barrier lakes of Kamast, Wotkinsk and Nischnekamsk but all the sluices can be passed by locks without problems. From its confluence with River Volga to Perm, there is heavy traffic by commercial vessels and passenger ships then, only a few continue to the industrial town of Beresniki and afterwards are no more wharfs.
The mins and industrial towns of Solikmsk and Berezniki upstream are no longer served by freight vessels but the partially still existing dock yards show that they were still used to to end of the Second World War. The towns itsself are in desperate condition and have, after the breadown of the Soviet Union, a strong migration.
This old, fortified town with more then 3000'000 habitants is capital of the Oblast with the same name and its administrative district. Until the industrialising by the Sowjets, the area was the most important furnisher of cereals to the people of Moscov.
A small town with not quite 40'000 habitants, north of barrier lake of Kama.
A summer resort for the people of Perm, also lying at the barrier lake of Kama.
Based on west European measures, Perm is a young town. It was established in 1723 after copper or had been found in the area. When the towns of Perm and Molotov were united it was called Molotov until 1957 and then Perm again.
Between 1980 and 2005 it was the most eastern mega city of Europa but after strong migration it lost this title to the town of Ufa, lying further south at River Belaja.
Perm was a forbidden town to foreigners until 1991 because of its armament factories. It has a commercial harbor but is also served by passenger ships. Just north of it is a barrier with power station and a 6 chamber lock with dimensions of 30 x 250 m.
is a modern town with a bit more then 50'000 habitants. Some brittle pile moorings serve as tie-ups...
Trans-shipment center for wood industry, has wharfs
A small town with 7'500 habitants and rural character, has facilities for the most important.
liesat the barrier lake of Wotkinsk, near to the mouth of River Tulwa and is administration center of the district with the same name. The small town grew slightly after oil has been found in this area, it has about 23'000 habitants.
This town with a bit over 82'000 habitants was built in 1955 only when the barrage of Kawa with power station was constructed. The barrier can be passed by a double chamber lock; both have a dimension of 28.5 x 295 m. There is a considerable commercial port with two to three excursion ships too.
is an old town of just below 1000'000 habitants and there are some very nice buildings of the next to last century. Unfortunately, its commercial harbor is in bad condition.
This small town has a petty wharf for passenger barges.
In 1930, this place with about 10'000 habitants received its town charter. Everything remained about the same until 1976, when the industrial state holding company KAMAZ (vans, diesel engines, armors) settled here and made the population grow to half a million in 1989!
In 1982 the towns name was changed to "Breschnew" by the Soviets. Soon after, Breschnew was not Secretary-General anymore and it got its old name back. The town has considerable port facilities.
In the south it adjoins the barrage of Nizhenkamkaya which can also be passed by a double chamber lock. Dimensions: 25.5 x 294 m
is the center of a cereal growing region and has some industry (food, watches, Siemens) and a dock yard.